Moncton

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

 

Moncton is located in Westmorland County in southeastern New Brunswick. It is situated in the Petitcodiac River Valley, and is known as the “Hub City” because it is geographically located in the centre of the Maritime Provinces.

 

In 2011 the population was 69,074.

 

Although the Moncton area was originally settled in 1733, Moncton is considered to have been officially founded in 1766 with the arrival of Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants from Philadelphia.

 

Moncton was incorporated in 1855 and initially was only an agricultural settlement.

 

The city was named after a British officer Lt. Col. Robert Monckton, he had captured Fort Beauséjour that was located close by.

 

In the mid 1840’s the wooden shipbuilding industry had developed, this gave way for civic incorporation in 1855. In the 1860’s shipbuilding economy collapsed, and in 1862 the town to lost its civic charter.

 

Intercolonial Railway of Canada made Moncton its headquarters in 1871. Once the railway industry started to grow there, Moncton then was able to regained its charter in 1875. Moncton continued to be a railroad town until the late 1980’s when Canadian National Railway closed the locomotive shops.

 

The city’s economy is stable and diversified, and primarily based on its traditional transportation, distribution, retailing, and commercial heritage, and supplemented by strength in the educational, health care, financial, information technology, and insurance sectors. The strength of Moncton’s economy has received national recognition and the local unemployment rate is consistently less than the national average.

 

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Stu pendousmat at en.wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons

 

your criteria returned no results.

1
0
1
1
221

 

Translate »