Oromocto

Oromocto, New Brunswick, Canada

 

Oromocto is a New Brunswick town located on the west bank of the Saint John River at the mouth of the Oromocto River. It is 20 km southeast of Fredericton.

The name comes from the Maliseet word  wel-a-mook-took that means “deep water”. Oromocto is also home to the Oromocto First Nations band.

 

The area is full of history. It used to be an Acadian village but the village was burnt during the expulsion of the Acadians in the St. John River Campaign back in 1758. Then after the rebellion in Maugerville during the American Revolution, Fort Hughes was built in Oromocto. You can see a replica of this fort at the Sir Douglas Hazen Park. Then in 1783 there was an increase in settlers when the United Empire Loyalists arrived.

 

In the 19th century, Oromocto was initially a shipbuilding town and produced about 22 ships before it started to decline and closed. Lumber and sawmills kept the economy going and in the early 1950’s the area was chosen as headquarters for a large military base. The base first opened in 1955 and was originally named The Gagetown Military Camp (Camp Gagetown) and was the largest military reservation in the Commonwealth of Nations at the time. Today the town’s whole economy is dominated by the Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.

 

The town has many local farmers, parks, a marina, pubs, shopping mall, grocery stores, hospital and so much more. The town was named Canada’s model town.

 

Oromocto Marina, New Brunswick, Canada

Oromocto Marina, New Brunswick, Canada

 

1
0
1
1
235

 

 

Translate »